Chris Cockayne, Personal Injury Attorney
Chris is a Utah-licensed attorney who works exclusively in personal injury, auto accident, and general negligence matters. Chris is a combat veteran (he served in Iraq for twelve months), husband, and proud father of two energetic children. After graduating from the University of Utah law school in 2008, he worked as an associate for a large Northern California law firm, where he litigated civil and domestic cases, including high-profile wrongful death matters. After returning home to Utah, Chris worked with a small local firm, where he honed his skills in personal injury and auto-accident matters. Now, he practices exclusively in dog-bite and auto-accident cases.
- University of Utah College of Law, SLC, Utah (J.D., High Honors, 2008)
- Editor, Traynor Moot Court
- Member, National Moot Court Team
- Leary Scholar, Spring 2007
- CALI Award in Remedies, Lawyering Skills
- COL Award in Advanced Torts, Trial Ad., Teaching Law in High School
- Weber State University, Ogden, Utah (B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 2004
- Utah State Bar, Member
- Salt Lake County Bar Association, Member
- California State Bar, Member (Inactive)
- Business Networking International, Member
- West Jordan Chamber of Commerce, Member
- National Association of Personal Injury Attorneys, Top 10 under 40
- Attorney and Practice Magazines, Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, 10 Best
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40
Publications and Presentations
- Panelist, “Death & Taxes: Financial, Legal Planning for Same-Sex Couples,” Sacramento County Bar Association, Crocker Art Museum, Sacramento, California, October 2011.
- Co-Author, “The Special Niche of Family Law,” Strategies for Family Law, Aspatore Books, with Martinell, M., Partner, Downey Brand, Thomson Reuters Publishers, 2010.
- Author, “What Effect Does Proposition 8 Have upon Same-Sex Couples who Married Prior to its Enactment?,” Association of Certified Family Law Specialists Newsletter, Spring 2009.
- Presenter, “Rules of Engagement in Iraq,” Utah Army National Guard, 222d Field Artillery, St. George, Utah, with Osmond, P., Major, UTNG, April 2008.
How It Started…
Personal injury has long been Chris Cockayne’s passion. Chris set his sights on becoming a personal injury and accident attorney even before starting law school in 2005. His mentor, a personal injury attorney from the city where he grew up in Arizona, began grooming him as an undergraduate. After finishing law school, Chris worked at a large, prestigious law firm in Northern California, where he learned the basics of litigation and legal stratagem.
After returning home to Utah, Chris worked with a small local firm, where he honed his skills in personal injury and auto-accident claims. Chris eventually decided it was time to make his dream a reality by starting his own personal injury law firm. At Cockayne Law, Chris proudly fights for Utah injury and accident victims.
a week open
Rated in Utah